When you change the oil, you need several tools: universal pliers, adjustable socket wrench, drain pan, funnel, oil rag cloth, fresh oi, and a fresh filter. The estimated time it takes is about 45 minutes.
Here are 9 steps to better motorcycle maintenance.
1. Either run your motorcycle or take it for a 10-minute drive to warm it up. This will allow the oil to drain faster.
2. Clean the area of dust, dirt, and other airborne contaminants. If they get into your fresh oil, they can damage your engine.
3. Find a flat surface and either angle your bike on a stand or let it rest on its kickstand.
4. Place the drain pan where you believe it will catch the most oil. You may have to adjust it later.
5. Locate the drain plug. On a dry sump, it will be on the oil tank. If you have a wet sump, there might be on e on the frame and another on the engine – you’ll need to undo both in that case. you may need to remove some parts of the motorcycle, such as the foot peg, or you may need to drop the exhaust to access the drain plug.
6. Remove the oil port intake cap to make sure that all the oil drains out quickly.
7. Remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain into the pan.
8. Remove the oil filter. It may need to be unscrewed or it may simply slide out after its cover is undone if it has one. Consult your owner’s manual for details.
9. Wet the new filter with a bit of fresh oil.